Friday, August 11, 2006

Garden of Eden



OK, OK, no more of Pink Lady's own poems today. But here are some more song lyrics. The album that I'm listening to the most these days is Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor. I didn't like it all that much at first, but it's really grown on me (as the song below states!). I don't know how many times I've listened to it, but it might well be nearly a hundred times! I tend to get very obsessive that way. However, another reason that I keep listening to the same album over and over again is that I work in a typical cubicle hell and I need to wear headphones at work to block out the noise. I'm such a curious person that otherwise I get nothing done because I just keep listening to what co-workers are saying! And listening to music that I know very well distracts me less - I almost don't hear it anymore. But for this to work, I really have to love the album. Otherwise it would just drive me crazy.

It took a while for the album to grow on me, but the song Like It Or Not, however, I simply loved right from the start. I love the lyrics, I think that they are very inspirational (as are many Madonna lyrics these days, she keeps getting "deeper and deeper"). And I love the melody too, it's like something from the 30s or 40s (Maybe? I'm not that hugely knowledgeable on the subject of music history). So here are those lyrics (I chopped the repetitive part off the end):

Like it or Not (by Madonna)

You can call me a sinner
and you can call me a saint
Celebrate me for who I am
Dislike me for what I ain’t
Put me up on a pedestal
Or drag me down in the dirt
Sticks and stones will break my bones
But your names will never hurt

I’ll be the garden, you’ll be the snake
All of my fruit is yours to take
Better the devil that you know
Your love for me will grow
Because

This is who I am
You can like it or not
You can love me or leave me
Cause I’m never gonna stop, no no

Cleopatra had her way
Mata Hari too
Whether they were good or bad
Is strictly up to you

Life is a paradox
And it doesn’t make much sense
You can't have the femme without the fatale
Please don’t take offense

Don’t let the fruit rot under the vine
Fill up your cup and let’s drink the wine
Better the devil that you know
Your love for me will grow
Because
This is who I am...


The photo was taken on my boyfriend's parents' farm a couple of weeks back. The red currants were simply perfectly ripe and very sweet and, for a city girl, it was amazing to just pick and eat as much as I could right off the bush. I'm used to paying for them!

Love,
Red Berry

No comments: