Monday, April 24, 2006

A Dream Come True






Dear Readers,

A bit over a year ago, I was obsessed with the TV show Sex and the City. I had bought all the DVDs and would watch them every day. My boyfriend was really sick of it and kept asking me why I was so into that particular show.

I started asking myself the same question. What is the fascination for me? The answer that immediately came to my mind was: "I want to BE Carrie Bradshaw!" But why?

She's beautiful. She has a perfect body. She's really smart and really funny. A good friend. She is really fashionable and always has really amazing outfits, clothes - and above all shoes. She lives in New York City. She has really great female friends and an active, fun New York lifestyle. All very good reasons to want to be her.

However, then the answer really hit me: of course, I want to write!! It's what I've always wanted to do. I want to do exactly what Carrie Bradshaw does: I want to live an active life, to observe the world, and to write about it in a column. The column doesn't need to be about sex (as in the TV show), just about life. So - waddayaknow - sometimes something as trivial as a TV show can act as a revelation of a deeper need.

So I figured out what I wanted to do. However, I was not sure how to go about getting there. How would I become a writer? How would I get published? Not so easy.

It was only some weeks after I had started this blog that I realized that for me, writing a blog is living my dream. I get to write about my life.

Go figure.

No comments: