Thursday, March 30, 2006

Governments should be afraid of their people

Yo!

Anybody seen the movie V for Vendetta? I loved it.

The movie certainly reminded me of what's important. A lot of what I've written in this blog has been about very material things such as fashion, electronics, interior decorating, etc. Those things are really important to me, but they are not the most important things in life. They are just the really fun things, they are toys for adults.

Growing up, my favourite book was 1984 by George Orwell. It's the only book I've ever read more than twice: I read it three times during one year (I was around 15 or 16). I still feel that everything I know (or need to know?) about politics I learned from that book. In "1984", the government's policy is "War is Peace", i.e. the government itself commits acts of terrorism on it's own citizens in order to keep them in fear and thus "keep the peace". Really sick - but is it really so far fetched in the world we live in today? What were the true motives behind the Gulf War? 9/11 was certainly an act of terrorism commited by a foreign power, but the US government certainly made the most of keeping it's citizens afraid after that. Things to think about.

The "V for Vendetta" movie explores some of these same issues. There is a totalitarian government that keeps people in fear. But it's also about the power of the people: "People should not be afraid of their governments - governments should be afraid of their people". Think about how relevant this idea is in some of the Communist countries.

More than anything, the V movie was about personal courage and about how to stop being afraid.

I highly recommend it to everyone. The message is very relevant in the current global political situation.

Pink

P.S. Speaking of political, don't you just love Pink's new song (and video!) Stupid Girl? :-)

No comments: