Friday, September 01, 2006

Ladies Who Dine



I went to a really interesting reunion tonight. There were 6 of us girls and some of us hadn't seen each other in 13 years. We had all at one time or another worked in the same café - a very beautiful one in a very beautiful place.

It was amazing catching up and getting to know each other as grown women. We all work in very different fields and have had very different lives, but we seemed to have something in common. We talked for 5 hours straight and about very deep and even intimate subjects: the death of grandparents or other loved ones, the birth of children, finding our way in the world, love, friendship. What an amazing evening!

I only knew 2 of the 5 women, but felt as if I'd known all of them forever. We sometimes have a lot in common with friends of friends. We were six women of approximately the same age, sharing our lives.

Something that we repeated several times during the conversation was that when talking about some things, words seem inadequate - we seemed to have trouble describing the depth of what we were really feeling. I feel that way now: eventhough I am very seldom at a loss for words, I find that I have trouble describing the beauty of this evening's conversation and how special it was. Very rarely does a group reach such a level of true caring and sharing.

I entitled this post "Ladies Who Dine", but we actually did not dine: we only had dessert and a bottle of Moët & Chandon Brut! :-)

No comments: